Hi y’all! I hope your week is off to a great start! I say this every single month and totally sound like a broken record, but how in the world is my little baby 8 months old?! She turned 8 months on Saturday and I honestly can’t believe how fast time is flying. And…I may or may not have started planning her first birthday party already…#typeA but I am so excited about it! This past month was a crazy one…little miss got sick and oh goodness the 8 month sleep regression hit us a bit early, but it hit hard! I’ve been compiling yalls questions over the past weeks and I’ll try to touch on them all below.
- Harper is crawling all over the place! Last month, she was still kind of scooching with her tummy on the ground, but now she is full on crawling! And she is so fast. I turn my back and she’s across the room.
- She loves music! Every time I turn it on she goes crazy! I hold her so that her feet are on the ground and she starts moving all around and it’s the cutest thing.
- She is pulling herself up on absolutely everything and just wants to stand all the time. She’s gotten so strong!
- We started at The Little Gym and we go twice a week! She loves interacting with the other little babes in the class and I love watching her explore and learn every time we go.
- She’s babbling so much! Squeals and babbles non stop. She also loves to bl0w bubbles.
- She’s eating so many different foods now! She’s been on baby foods since 4 months, but we’ve slowly started introducing other foods, per our pediatrician’s instruction. She absolutely LOVES mashed up avocado. Like mama, like baby! She also loves mashed potatoes.
- She grabs onto absolutely everything! She loves holding and playing with stuffed animals or toys. She always has to have something in her hand. Doesn’t matter if its one of her toys or a receipt on the table, she wants it! She’s super fascinated with glasses, coffee mugs, and cans. She starts breathing really fast and squeals whenever she sees us drinking from one, it’s absolutely hilarious.
- The sippy cup is getting better! After each meal, we give her some water and she’s finally getting the hang of it.
- She’s sitting in highchairs and shopping carts now! When we are at a restaurant theres about a 0% chance she will be content sitting in her carseat…she likes to be right in the middle of the action, so this cover has come in handy! Y’all always ask about it on Snap and it’s a lifesaver. It goes over a highchair and shopping carts. Plus it folds up in a super handy little carrying bag, making it super easy. There is also a clear protective slot for your phone…so while she’s in the cart, I can slip my phone in there, put on a Disney Junior video, and she’s happy as ever!
- Harper absolutely LOVES the pool and bath time. She’s always loved it, but now that she’s so much more active, she loves playing with her bath toys and splashing around! Little water baby!
This month’s lows:
- Sweet girl got sick with quite the cold, so that was tough! It really affected her eating and sleeping, but we are getting back on track.
- The dreaded SLEEP REGRESSION. We got really lucky and totally dodged the 4 month sleep regression. We thought we were in the clear! Wrong, ha! Harper has been an absolutely amazing sleeper since the first few weeks, so this really took us by surprise! We actually may have turned a corner the past few days and its been better, but it was rough for a couple of weeks! She was waking up through the night [which she hasn’t done since the first few weeks!], not wanting to nap, not wanting to be put down at night, etc. She just wanted to be held. In the middle of the night, she’d cry, I’d pick her up and rock her, she would fall right asleep, and as soon as I would try to move her to her crib…she’d wake up and be super fussy. It was so sad! But like I said, I think it’s getting better!
Questions from y’all:
- Did you have to do sleep training?
- We did! We read Baby Wise and we were pretty regimented in following that to develop a really great schedule that worked for Harper and for us. I know sleep training doesn’t work for every family, but I always get asked how we got Harper on her schedule, so that’s what worked for us.
- Does she still wake up at night to eat?
- No! She’s always been an amazing sleeper…she was sleeping 10-12 hours from about a month and a half. And since she was a good weight, our pediatrician told us never to wake a sleeping baby, ha! So no, she sleeps through the night.
- Do you have a nanny who watches Harper while you blog?
- We don’t have a nanny. I am home with her all day and usually work on my blog while she takes her afternoon nap! I also get work done in the evening once Philip is home from work and spending some time with Harps.
- How did you lose the baby weight? Do you do any special work outs?
- After I had Harper, because I was sick and in the hospital, I lost a good amount pretty quickly. As soon as I was home and cleared to workout after my C-section, I got right back into walking, which I’ve always done. I usually do about 2-2.5 miles a day and I really think that helps to keep in shape! Occasionally I will do some light weights at home to work out my arms and do lunges as well.
- Does she have any teeth yet?
- Still not cutting through yet!
- What wrap do you always wear her in?
- We have two! The Ergobaby carrier is amazing! I actually just started using this one…it has 4 positions. Facing out, facing in, baby worn on your back, and my favorite….on the hip! Harper loves to be on my hip but carrying her that way wears on me after awhile, so I absolutely love that you can position this carrier on your hip for handsfree carrying. Also, we have the BABYBJORN which is also great.
- What solids do you feed Harper? And how often?
- She loves her pureed fruits and vegetables! She hasn’t had one she doesn’t like. And like I mentioned above, avocados and mashed potatoes are her favorite. As for frequency, check the schedule section below!
I kind of hesitate each month about putting this portion in my update posts because it varies so much with each baby and family! But, I always get a lot of questions on social and snapchat about Harper’s schedule, so I like to share. Keep in mind, this is just what works for us! I’m no expert and we are learning as go and hoping for the best, ha! So, she’s been sleeping 11-12 hours each night for months now. Girlfriend absolutely LOVES her sleep. There are days when I actually have to wake her up in the morning…like “HI! Are you ready to start the day?!”
- 7:30am: Up for the day! She wakes up so so happy [never crying, thank goodness!] and usually pretty hungry, so I change her and feed her rice cereal + a small bottle.
- 8:00 – 10:30am: After feeding, we do playtime for about an hour. She loves being on her mat and playing with all of her toys. Close to 9, she’ll fuss a tad, which means she’s ready for her first little nap. I either take this time to run any quick little errands [she sleeps great in her carseat!], go for our walk, or she’ll take a quick little nap. This nap here used to be longer, but its gotten much shorter [about 30 minutes max]…if she even takes one at all.
- 10:30am: Feeding. We used to do a bottle at this time, but have recently switched to a baby yogurt and she absolutely loves it! Strawberry and banana are her two faves and keeps her adequately full. I also will give her some puffs or a baby mum-mum here too. Then we will go on a walk or play a little, she likes to be up for a little bit. She used to take a nap here as well, but if she does, its only about 30 minutes max now.
- 1:30pm: Feeding [bottle of formula].
- 2:00-4:00 pm [sometimes 4:00]: Nap in her crib. This is her one true BIG nap of the day.
- 4:30pm: Feeding. [baby food, pureed fruit or vegetables]. Then I’ll usually put her in her chair and have her in the kitchen with me while I get dinner ready!
- 5:30-6:00pm: She used to take a nap here but hasn’t done that in over a month. We just play and then she sits in her highchair while we eat dinner! While we are eating, we give her a mashed up avocado or potatoes.
- 7:00-8:00pm: We bathe her and then feed her [a bottle of formula…her last feeding of the day]. We burp her, read her a book, rock her, and then she’s in her crib by 8:00 at the very latest.
- 8:00pm-7:30am: She sleeps!
- Noodle & Boo – we use this shampoo, body wash, and lotion and oh my goodness…smells absolutely amazing! Also makes her hair and her skin so so soft. We love the scent so much, we actually picked up the room spray, which makes her nursery smell heavenly.
- Playmat – I get questions on this all the time on snapchat…we use this for play time and it has bright colors and different textures, which is great for babies. It’s also huge [but folds up nicely] so it’s great now that Harper is on the move.
- Bows – Y’all always ask about her bows and we love these by Baby Bling. So many colors and patterns, plus they’re nice and stretchy so they don’t bother her head.
- Little Giraffe – these blankets are the best. They are so so soft and she loves them. These make a great shower gift!
- Stroller – We were sent this stroller to try and we actually really REALLY love it. We love our uppaBABY, but this one by Nuna has been great.
- Sit to Stand Learning Walker – we just got this a couple weeks ago and she loves it! She pulls herself up on it and is slowly learning that when she pushes her arms forward, she also has to move her legs to be able to move. Plus, even while sitting, she loves playing with the little activity center on the front.
- Walker – she loves this! We are going through a phase where she only wants to be exactly where I am, so this is great because she can play in it AND use her feet to follow me around! She doesn’t even mind me putting her down when I put her in this because she likes the little toys and is realizing she can mover her feet to “walk” to exactly where I am. We use this most in the kitchen while cooking!
- Diaper Clutch – this is perfect for throwing in my purse! It holds extra diapers and wipes and I can even fold up an extra onesie. I love to grab this when I’m running on a quick errand and know I don’t need her bottles and full diaper bag. This is so easy to just throw in my purse and go. I have the swan print but comes in so many fun prints and patterns.
- High Chair Cover – I get so many questions about this little gem on Snapchat everytime there is a snap with her in it! It’s amazing. It goes over high chairs in restaurants and also doubles as a shopping cart cover.
Thank yall so much for following along, always!