Hi sweet friends! Before I get into this…serious question. Has anyone out there figured out how to bottle time? Or make time slow down? It’s unreal to me that our sweet baby is a year old! Sweet Harper Rae turned one on Tuesday the 17th and what an absolutely incredible year it has been. A year of love, laughter, and happiness for sure. Philip and I feel lucky beyond belief to get to be this sweet girl’s parents. Every day she teaches us something new and we love watching her grow. I know I missed her 11 month update, so I’ll try to be as thorough as I can in this one to make up for it 🙂
- I took her to her one year appointment yesterday and she’s doing great! She weighs 21.7 pounds and is 29.5 inches tall! She’s in the 50% for her height and the 70% for her weight.
- She has 3 teeth.
- Harper is taking steps! For the past month or so, she’s been standing for long periods of time and also has been walking [while holding onto a table, couch, etc]. But as of Tuesday, on her birthday, she took her first steps totally by herself! She’s still a little unsure of it, but she’s getting the hang of it and we know she’ll be running around the house in no time.
- Also on her birthday, she got her 3rd tooth! It popped through finally and the top ones are about to break through as well. Now that she has teeth, she’s loving being able to eat even more foods.
- She waves hello and goodbye, gives kisses, blows kisses, and can give high fives.
- She can say “mama”, “dada”, “yeah”, and “dog-dog”. She is obsessed with our two dogs, so lately everything in sight is “dog-dog”…including me haha.
- She’s done with baby food and eats basically what we eat! [I’ll have more on this below].
Questions from y’all:
- Did you have to do sleep training?
- We did! Harper began sleeping through the night at a very young age and we really attribute that to sleep training! We read Baby Wise and we were pretty regimented in following that to develop a really great schedule that worked for Harper and for us. I know sleep training doesn’t work for every family, but I always get asked how we got Harper on her schedule, so that’s what worked for us.
- What carseat do you have her in now?
- I spoke with her pediatrician yesterday about the next carseat and it is time for us to buy one! Her legs just started to hang over the infant carseat, so we are going shopping this week for one. I am going to research a few, I will let yall know what I find. Any suggestions welcome!
- How did you lose the baby weight so quickly? Do you do any special work outs?
- After I had Harper, because I was sick and in the hospital, I lost a good amount pretty quickly. As soon as I was home and cleared to workout after my C-section, I got right back into walking, which I’ve always done. I usually do about 2.5 miles a day around the neighborhood and I really think that helps to keep in shape! Occasionally I will do some light weights at home to work out my arms and do lunges as well.
- Does she still wake up at night to eat?
- No! She’s always been an amazing sleeper…she was sleeping 10-12 hours from about a month and a half. And since she was a good weight, our pediatrician told us never to wake a sleeping baby, ha! So no, she sleeps through the night.
- Do you have a nanny who watches Harper while you blog?
- We don’t have a nanny. I am home with her all day and usually work on my blog while she takes her afternoon nap! I also get work done in the evening once Philip is home from work and spending some time with Harps.
- Does she have any teeth yet? Is teething awful?
- She has 3! Teething for the first two was a bit rough, I can’t lie about that. She was fussy, her eating was off, she wasn’t sleeping as well, etc. But for this third tooth, it honestly wasn’t terrible. Apparently her top ones are about to cut through and it hasn’t been bad yet…just a lot of drool again!
- What wrap do you always wear her in?
- We have two! The Ergobaby carrier is amazing…it has 4 positions. Facing out, facing in, baby worn on your back, and my favorite….on the hip! Harper loves to be on my hip but carrying her that way wears on me after awhile, so I absolutely love that you can position this carrier on your hip for handsfree carrying. Also, we have the BABYBJORN which is also great.
- What solids do you feed Harper? And how often?
- At this point, she’s honestly eating everything we eat pretty much. With the exception of spicy foods of course. So she’ll eat salmon, chicken, potato, vegetables, eggs, waffles, and more! As for frequency, check the schedule section below!
DISCLAIMER – I start this section each update post by saying……I kind of hesitate each month about putting this portion in my update posts because it varies so much with each baby and family! But, I always get a lot of questions on social media about Harper’s schedule, so I like to share. Keep in mind, this is just what works for us! I’m no expert and we are learning as go and hoping for the best, ha!
- 7:30am: Up for the day! She wakes up so so happy and so hungry, so I change her and then make her breakfast. For the past month, we’ve been doing scrambled eggs or a cheese omelet, followed by a pancake or a waffle. She really likes the cheese omelet because I cut it into pieces and she can feed herself [Miss I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T. haha]. Then I give her a waffle or pancake which she loves to tear apart herself and eat.
- 8:00 – 10:30am: After feeding, we do playtime for about an hour. I then usually run any quick little errands, go for our walk, or she’ll take a quick little nap. This nap here used to be longer, but its gotten much shorter [about 30 minutes max]…if she even takes one at all. I have a feeling this nap is about to disappear altogether.
- 10:30am: Snack. At this time I usually give her fruits and yogurt. Strawberry and banana are her two faves and keeps her adequately full. Then we will go on a walk or play a little, she likes to be up for a little bit. Three days a week we have little gym, so this keeps us busy during this early afternoon time.
- 12:30: Lunch with me. Sometimes I make her peanut butter toast or avocado toast, she loves both!
- 1:30pm: This is her one true nap of the day, and it’s usually 3 hours.
- 4:30pm: wake up and time for food. Sometimes we do things like steamed veggies, crackers, or ravioli. She really loves ravioli and pasta type dishes. Then I’ll usually put her in her chair and have her in the kitchen with me while I get dinner ready!
- 5:30-6:30pm: playtime. Philip usually gets home during this time, so we will hang out as a family and she definitely stays busy!
- 6:30-7:30pm: During this time, we eat dinner and she eats with us. Her favorite meal is salmon, steamed vegetables, and avocado. She also loves pasta, chicken, mashed potatoes, etc. We’ve gotten to the point where we really just try to give her whatever we are eating! We then bathe her, read her a book, rock her, and then she’s in her crib by 7:30.
- 7:30pm-7:30am: She sleeps!
- Nordstrom Baby – one of our favorite brands for clothes, sleepwear, socks, etc. All so soft!
- ToteSavvy – this purse organizer is amazing! I’ve posted in on instagram stories and snapchat and got an overwhelming number of questions, so I wanted to share! It’s essentially an insert for your tote or purse that turns any bag into a diaper bag! So handy because then if I need my purse back and don’t need the baby stuff, I just lift this out by the handles and all the baby items are out of my bag, but still in one place.
- Noodle & Boo – we use this shampoo, body wash, and lotion and oh my goodness…smells absolutely amazing! Also makes her hair and her skin so so soft.
- Hair Bows – when I have her hair in a teeny pony on top of her head, I clip on one of these bows and they’re a great size.
- Bows – Y’all always ask about her bows and we love these by Baby Bling. So many colors and patterns, plus they’re nice and stretchy so they don’t bother her head.
- Little Giraffe – these blankets are the best. They are so so soft and she loves them. These make a great shower gift!
- Sit to Stand Learning Walker – she loves it! She zooms around the house pushing this!
- Diaper Clutch – this is perfect for throwing in my purse! It holds extra diapers and wipes and I can even fold up an extra onesie. I love to grab this when I’m running on a quick errand and know I don’t need her food and full diaper bag. This is so easy to just throw in my purse and go. I have the swan print but comes in so many fun prints and patterns.
- High Chair Cover – I get so many questions about this little gem on Snapchat everytime there is a snap with her in it! It’s amazing. It goes over high chairs in restaurants and also doubles as a shopping cart cover.
Her 1st Birthday was absolutely amazing! I got so many questions from yall on Snap and Instagram about where everything was from, so I’ll link it all below!
The giant confetti balloons, the cursive ONE balloon, and the HARPER balloons were from Magnolia Bloom Boutique! The absolute cutest party decor! The big confetti balloons were my favorite and Harps loved them too!
Board is here
Her cake is from Virginia’s Cakes in Houston and her unicorn macaroons I ordered from Delectable Bakehouse and had them shipped to us.
Cloud/rainbow balloons are here
Highchair tutu is here
Thank yall so much for following along, always! xoxo