We’ve made it to 34 weeks! What a crazy ride this has been. I’m excited to get this up today because I don’t know how many more of these Bumpdates I’ll get to do.
I know most of y’all follow along on Instagram so you know that we’ve had a couple of labor scares with Baby B the past couple of weeks. To quickly catch you up — 2 weeks ago, I went in for my 32 week appointment and mentioned to my OB that I was having some contractions. I thought they were just Braxton Hicks, but I figured I would mention it to her. She decided to go ahead and do a cervical check and found that I was already dilated. To be safe, I was given a steroid shot that was supposed to help develop baby’s lungs, in the event he came early. That was on Wednesday. On Thursday, I went back for the second shot and thought all was well. On Friday afternoon, I started feeling really funny…tons of intense contractions and pressure really low. I thought I could ride it out but Philip and my parents had me call my OB to be on the safe side. She told me to get right to Labor & Delivery. By the time they got me hooked up to the monitors, my contractions were 3 minutes apart and I was further dilated. Everyone started to kind of panic, they thought this baby was coming. I was admitted overnight and they started me on Magnesium to help space out/stop my contractions. I was in so much pain with the contractions and they were so frequent, that they gave me my epidural, again….thinking this baby was coming. After about 9 hours on Magnesium, my contractions finally slowed and spaced out and I wasn’t in pain. But then, I had a serious reaction to the magnesium, extreme nausea and felt like I couldn’t breathe. I remember looking over at Philip all the sudden and barely able to talk to him to tell him I couldn’t breathe. They immediately removed the Magnesium because apparently this is a severe side affect of it. With the removal, I was nervous my contractions would come back with a vengeance, but they stayed spaced out.
Once they were confident I wasn’t going to deliver, I was released. I saw my OB on that following Monday who prescribed me medicine to take at home every 6 hours to help with the contractions. She also told me I had to seriously limit my activity…no more working out, no lifting, limited stairs, etc. All week I felt relatively okay, just was still dealing with contractions daily. Then on Friday [this was last Friday], my contractions picked back up AGAIN. She had told me if I was having more than 4 in an hour, I was supposed to go right back to Labor & Delivery. So we were right back where we were the week before. Luckily, they got my contractions slowed and spaced and we were released after several hours this time.
Throughout everything, baby boy has been amazing! His heart rate never dropped, he’s been super active, etc. We are SO thankful! I’ll deal with daily contractions as long as he’s okay. So I’ve dilated a bit more from 2 weeks ago, but when I went to my weekly appointment yesterday, I wasn’t any further dilated than I was on Friday at the hospital, so that was a relief. She did say that baby is SUPER low…which I can definitely tell he’s dropped. My OB’s goal is to get us to 37 weeks and then we will all feel a little more relaxed about him coming any time!
So in the meantime, I’m taking it easy and just trying to handle the daily contractions. The medicine definitely helps. But every day he stays in there is a great day and we feel so grateful he’s continuing to develop and grow 🙂
Now onto the Bumpdate and also including things that I get a ton of questions on from yall 🙂 I’ve been compiling all the questions I’ve gotten from yall and hope I cover everything here.
HOW FAR ALONG: 34 weeks today! Baby is the size of a butternut squash [17.7 inches and 4.93 pounds].
DUE DATE: August 9th.We will see!
SIZE: He’s still measuring a little small right now, just over 4 pounds.
WEIGHT GAIN: I just want to preface this by saying — every woman and every body is totally different! And no matter what, your body is doing an amazing thing, growing a human, so you have to be proud of that. Don’t put too much emphasis on this. I hesitate to even delve into this because I’ve received comments on both ends of the spectrum…that my bump is so big and also that I’m too skinny and not giving the baby enough. My OB is very happy with where I’m at and everything looks healthy, so I’m not worried. So like I said, please just remember that each body is beautiful and we are all totally different 🙂 To answer this question, so far in this pregnancy, I’ve gained about 16 pounds. In the past week, I’ve actually lost several pounds because my appetite has been way down and nausea is back.
NAME: We will be sharing once he arrives!
HOW IM FEELING: As you can probably gather from above, not my best. I wish I could say this pregnancy is all rainbows and butterflies, but I’m here to be totally honest. My nausea is back. Nothing really sounds good to me, other than sweets and fruit. Exhaustion has hit me hard and the contractions throughout the day make me absolutely exhausted. I nap every single day now…usually 1-2 hours.
CRAVINGS: My cravings have totally slowed down. The only food that truly appeals to me is ice cream, super cold fruit, frozen m&ms, and cereal. It feels like I’m finally running out of room in there, so I’m just not hungry quite as often as I used to be.
AVERSIONS: Mostly everything right now. Meat especially.
SYMPTOMS: While I am incredibly grateful to be growing a tiny human [and I honestly hate to complain at all!], I’ve had a rough few weeks lately. I’m having tons of round ligament pain, which is extreme pain in your pelvic area as everything is stretching. Lots of contractions, some are very very painful. Nausea is back.
PHYSICAL CHANGES: My baby bump is huge! Definitely feeling extra pregnant and now sure how I can get much bigger! No swelling or stretch marks so far.
MOVEMENT: All the time! Throughout the entire day but he’s especially active at night. In fact, he wakes me up sometimes because his movements are so intense. But nothing I love more than that feeling 🙂 Sometimes, he’s so vigorous that you can already see my tummy move from the outside!
BELLY BUTTON: Definitely an outie! It popped around week 20 this time, SO early!
MOST EXCITED ABOUT: Meeting him! I can’t wait to see his sweet face and hold him for the first time.
LEAST EXCITED ABOUT: Labor itself. I’m absolutely terrified, if we’re being brutally honest. I know I’ve been through it once before and should know what to expect, but I honestly feel clueless. Harper’s birth went nothing like we planned, so I’m scared how this time is going to go.
EXERCISE: This is one of my most asked questions on Instagram, yall always want to know what I do to stay in shape while growing a babe. My workouts have come to a complete halt, doctor’s orders. I was working out daily, so I definitely miss it, but know I have to do what is best for baby.
SKINCARE: Lots of questions on this as well. I want to start off by saying, I clear everything I use with my OB. I’ve asked her about every makeup, bath, beauty product I have, just to be safe.
- Morning and night I use this cleanser — I’ve used this for nearly 2 years now and it’s completely changed my skin. I absolutely love it. Use code: KATEBLUE to save 20% off.
- Morning and night I use this moisturizer — I was using my tried and true day and night cream but this one does contain a small amount of retinol, which isn’t recommended by my OB for pregnant or nursing mamas. So I’ve temporarily switched and I’ve been loving it. Makes my skin baby soft and keeps it hydrated.
- Morning and night I use this cream for preventing stretch marks. I used this all throughout my pregnancy with Harper and never got a stretch mark. So far, it’s prevented stretch marks this pregnancy as well.
- As for my tanning routine, I exfoliate before applying tanner with this scrub and this dry brush. After showering I apply either St. Tropez or St. Moriz. To maintain my tan throughout the week, I use this lotion. I use these drops to maintain color on my face, twice a week. I just mix in with the moisturizer I mentioned above.
PRENATAL VITAMINS: I take the Women’s 1 a Day Prenatal Vitamins and I always get the ones that have DHA + Folic Acid…both of which are very important for the growth of the babe.
BIRTH PLAN: I learned very quickly during my intense labor with Harper that things don’t always go according to plan. So for this baby, I won’t have a crazy in-depth birth plan. I do know I will want an epidural again, thats a given. The other part of the plan we have so far is we plan for me to have a VBAC [vaginal birth after cesarean]. Even though my labor with Harper resulted in an emergency C-section, my doctor thinks a VBAC will be a perfect option for me this time around. Even though I am very nervous about it, I’m also excited for a different labor experience this time around!
- Moby Baby Wrap – I learned very quickly with Harper that a wrap was a must-have for new moms. She loved being held and close to me, so a wrap was a great option so I could have my hands-free! This one is so soft and I love the charcoal grey for baby boy.
- HALO Bassinest – this just arrived and we set it up by my side of the bed, which is definitely surreal to see when I wake up! We’ve heard amazing things about this one, I love that it swivels and makes it super convenient for mom to grab baby, right from bed. I’ll have a full post up on this once he’s here 🙂
- Petunia Pickle Bottom – Yall have seen this brand on my Insta Stories a few times and know I’m a big fan. I always love the fun prints! I recently got this Pacifier Case which is great for being out and about and keeping the pacifier in one spot and clean. I also got this bottle case for my diaper bag which holds a bottle and keeps it insulated.
- Lamaze Intimates – this brand of nursing and sleep bras is so incredibly comfy. Not to mention, super reasonably priced. In my photo above, I’m wearing one of them and I’ve been living in it. With my growing chest, it’s been most comfortable to sleep in a bra and these have been my go-tos. I will keep yall posted on how they are for nursing.
- Luxury Labour – this is a new-to-me product and I was so excited when the company reached out to me! This company puts together a hospital bag for you and for baby, checking one more thing of your never-ending to-do list! This would make an amazing shower gift for any mama-to-be. The bag comes complete with a duffle bag, nightgown, robe, shower shoes, socks, toiletries, maternity pads, etc. Theres also an option for a baby bag as well which comes with a baby blanket, kimono, matching hat, diapers, etc. Seriously the best idea! I’ll be sharing more in-depth next week! Use code: MAMA2B for 10% off the whole site!
- DOCKATOT – one of our favorite products when we had Harper! We are so excited to use it again with this baby. It’s perfect for lounging and making sure your baby is safe when not in your arms. This is one of our top baby products for sure and it got so much use with Harper. For baby boy, we went with the marble print which is so fun! Also, they now have the added option of the toy arch + hanging toys for added entertainment for baby!
- Cosabella Nursing Bras – I do plan on nursing this baby, so I’m starting to stock up on nursing bras. This one is gorgeous and also comfortable. A win/win.
- Copper Pearl – bibs and swaddles. The softest materials and I love the adorable bandana bibs! We loved these for Harper but it was fun to pick out new prints and colors for baby boy.
- Aden and Anais bibs – always love the prints on these muslin bibs. So many great colors and patterns! Also love LOVE their swaddles!
- Aden and Anais diapers – love the prints on these diapers! The brand sent over some for Harper and we are loving them, so I’m stocking up on some cute ones for baby too.
- Ingrid & Isabel – one of my very favorite maternity brands! I lived in their dresses during my pregnancy with Harper and this one will be no different! This is one of my favorite comfy dresses, comes in so many colors and works throughout your entire pregnancy.
- Denim Shorts – stocked up on some cute pairs for spring and summer! Just got these and these
- The Ollie Swaddle – like I’ve said before, swaddles are the holy grail. We got this one in the gorgeous sky blue and its supposed to help with the transition from the womb and helps to reduce the Moro [startle] reflex in babies.
- Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock – this is so neat! I had this with Harper as well and cannot begin to explain how many questions I would get on this anytime we were at the grocery or Target! It attaches to the cart and provides a hammock for your baby to safely lay in while you shop! So much better than the infant car seat that takes up 3/4th of the shopping cart!
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter – the best for preventing stretch marks! I used all throughout my first pregnancy and didn’t get a single stretch mark. As soon as I found out I was pregnant again, I started using it. I apply every morning and night after my showers.
- Snoogle Pillow – the best invention ever. Being pregnant makes it really difficult to get comfortable in bed. I’m a back sleeper and a tummy sleeper and neither of those positions are okay while pregnant. This pillow makes it comfy to sleep on your side! I’m so obsessed with this. We have a trip next weekend and I’m seriously debating what I can leave at home so that I can have room to pack this in my suitcase!
Thank yall so much for following along! You guys are the best, xo!